Juan Ponce de Leon may not have found the mythical fountain of youth, but there are many habits you can incorporate into your daily routine to help you feel–and look!–youthful and refreshed. (Besides working out at Farrell’s, of course!)
1. Drink More Water. Staying properly hydrated is essential to feel and to look younger. The adult human body is 60% water! This includes your organs, muscles, and even bones! Failing to consume enough water can result in dry, flaky, and tight skin cells, which can make you appear older than you are. For optimal hydration, aim to drink at least half your body weight in ounces, every day. For example, if you weigh 150 pounds, you need to drink 75 ounces of water daily.
Pro tip: Set an alarm on your smartphone to remind you to drink water throughout the day.
2. Wear Sunscreen. Enjoying 10-15 minutes of sunlight every day is great for Vitamin D absorption, which can help prevent diseases, depression, and even weight gain! However, too much sun exposure can lead to skin cancer. To protect yourself from sunburns and overexposure, make sure you wear a daily sunscreen or protect your skin with a hat and clothing. Looking for a boost of color? Skip the tanning beds and opt for a spray tan.
Pro tip: Look for sunscreens that contain zinc oxide or titanium oxide. They’re the safest for the skin, and offer the most skin protection! (Without the chalky residue.)
3. Get Enough Zzzs. The average adult needs between 7-9 hours of sleep every night. Sleep gives our body the time to heal, rest, and recharge. Beauty sleep isn’t a myth! Sleep allows for cell mitosis – a process in which cells go into repair mode to renew your skin. To get the most benefits from beauty sleep, avoid scrolling on your phone or watching TV right before bedtime. To unwind, grab your favorite book and a cup of tea instead! And if you’re struggling to fall asleep, try a white noise machine or download a sleep app on your smartphone.
Pro tip: Looking for a way to improve your complexion even more? Invest in a silk pillowcase to help prevent fine lines and wrinkles while you sleep.
4. Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize. Just like keeping your body hydrated by drinking enough water, it’s important to keep your skin–your largest organ–hydrated as well! Daily moisturization protects your skin from environmental damage, prevents wrinkles, and can help control dry, irritated skin. Not sure what moisturizer is best for you? For your face, start with a gentle, fragrance-free moisturizer. And for your body, an all-natural shea butter lotion will do the trick!
Pro tip: Pay special care to your hands and neck, as these areas are the first to show signs of aging.
5. Reduce Sodium Intake. Lack of sleep may not be the only reason for baggy under eyes! Salt loves water. Consuming foods high in sodium can result in bloating and puffiness. Avoid the sneaky “salty six” foods: Bread, pizza, sandwiches, cold cuts and cured meats, soups, and burritos and tacos. And because sodium levels can vary among similar foods, always check your nutrition labels, a habit learned through our program! For adults, the American Heart Association recommends no more than 2,300 milligrams a day–and an ideal limit of no more than 1,500 milligrams per day.
Pro tip: To reduce your sodium intake, replace your white table salt with pink Himalayan salt.
6. Avoid or Reduce Alcohol. Alcohol is a diuretic, which dehydrates your body by increasing urine output. When your body is dehydrated, it can’t perform it’s normal functions, resulting in headaches, digestive issues, muscle cramps, sluggish immune function, poor skin elasticity, and more. Reducing or eliminating alcohol is a great way to boost your energy, helping you both look and feel younger. If you decide to enjoy a beverage, make sure you’ve consumed enough water throughout the day to combat dehydration.
Pro tip: Even better, fill your favorite glass with sparkling water or kombucha, and unwind without the negative side effects!
7. Stay Active. The benefits of exercise are endless, especially at Farrell’s! But did you know that exercise improves your lymphatic system, which helps reduce puffiness and bloating? Exercise increases the amount of oxygen delivered to your tissues and cells, which stimulates blood and lymphatic circulation. Your lymphatic system is the only system in your body that doesn’t work without movement! To keep your lymphatic system moving, you need to move as well.
Pro tip: Staying active doesn’t mean spending hours at the gym! With Farrell’s, you can get a great workout in only 45-minutes! With convenient class times, it’s easy to fit into your busy schedule.
8. Eat a Balanced Diet. You may have heard the term “eating clean.” But what does that mean? “Eating clean” means consuming a balanced diet of fruits, veggies, lean protein, and healthy fats–while limiting refined sugars and processed foods. Eating clean doesn’t have to be expensive, either! If your favorite produce isn’t in season, buy frozen. Purchase healthy ingredients like beans and rice in bulk. Plan your meals and stick to your grocery list to avoid overspending on unnecessary items. Filling your plate with a clean, balanced meal will fuel your body with the energy it needs to stay active and healthy, helping you feel and look younger!
Pro tip: Don’t be afraid of fats! Healthy fats like avocado, olive oil, and nuts contain Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, which are essential for keeping your skin plump and glowing!
9. Stretch, Breathe, and Meditate. When you experience stress, your body produces cortisol, often referred to as the “stress hormone.” Prolonged stress can lead to an excess of cortisol, resulting in a depressed immune system, loss of muscle mass, and increased body fat. While stress is often unavoidable, fortunately, there are tools we can use to unwind and relax. Practicing different stretching positions can improve circulation, which is essential for combating bloat. While you’re stretching, take deep breaths–in through your nose, and out through your mouth. Deep breathing improves oxygen flow to the bloodstream, which boosts collagen production. (Hello youthful skin!) Here are eight poses you can try at home!
Pro tip: If you’re ready to take your practice to the next level, download a guided-meditation app. Spending quiet time meditating is a great way to bring peace into your daily life.
These are habits you can begin implementing today to keep you feeling energized and youthful. When you join Farrell’s, you’ll build on these positive habits of staying hydrated, eating balanced meals, and getting proper sleep to restore your body. Practice these healthy routines to help you feel and look your best!